Sunday, October 21, 2012

My datacenter (at the moment) - ESXi whitebox - lab

Hi All,


Here is a quick little tidbit about my datacenter at the moment.
I assume there are other linux/unix/esxi/windows admins that have a similar setup @home.
I doubt anyone else has the nightmare I have but I digress.

So here it is:
Console / KB / mouse  {KVM 4 port}
Esxi 5.0
AIX 4.3.3 (soon to be 5.1) (POWERPC)
An IBM t60 (w/ an SSD)(4gb RAM)
Old p4 (girlfriends pc - got tired of losing her stuff during rebuilds/tests)
 An old wireless router, so I can connect WIRELESS to my ~own~ domain :)
And wedged in there is also a old p3 hp laptop that runs backtrack 5r2.


Here is my ESXi server. I put a large UV light on it. Its not a gateway, just an old case I found on the road and used :)

Due to inherent light properties of UV light, I cannot get a good shot of the server .



Lower Half, of my little datacenter.  I like the little cart everything is on. Its got wheels, So i can move it around to get to the back of everything and tinker as needed. Not a bad deal for free. Yes, I added that magical board in the middle :)   
My carpentry skills aside, its not a bad little setup.


Heres a write up on my ESXi server (for those that want to build one for ~$150-200:
Although I suggest something better, as mines maxed out, and needs more RAM.
Mainboard : MSI G41M-P33
RAM - 4gb
Processor : Intel Core 2 duo 2.66ghz E6750
Storage: (at present) 2 sata drives (removed the SSD)
1st sata (main vm datastore) -250gb
2nd sata (storage datastore) - 500gb
So -  Around 750gb storage across the whole system.

Nothing else really special about the build. I had a crazy video card(2gb gaming - nvidia) but i removed it because ESXi doesnt care about that card either way.

I was lucky that ESXi saw/uses the network card in this machine. That I think would be the main sicking point when planning/buying a system.

I am able to run 4-6 VMs -~possibly more at the same time .. I want to be able to run more :)
Not bad for a home build.  I think Im going to invest in more hardware, and build a fast better ESXi server in the next month or so, but I like what I have at the moment.

VMs Running :
Puppet
Redhat
Redhatx2
FREENAS
Fedora5
Fedora6
(and more VMs but not running)

Take a look inside:


You can see my writing on the drive caddy on the upper right. it says 'esxi' and the one above was a windows drive, but now it is a datastore. (hostile esxi takeover of this box) The only other thing is a ide dvd drive (only thing i had sitting around that worked anymore)

Not a bad little deal. I love being able to have my own env. and ESXi hosts w/ my own guests.


Also, unrelated ~ Get a bottle of REDSTAG. Or JD's.
Redstag is black-cherry flavored whiskey. one of the greatest things ever.


Hope everyone likes what ive done.


-Out_


No comments:

Post a Comment