Friday, June 3, 2011

XBOX360 RROD MODDED FIXED!!!!

Hello .....
I have a modded xbox 360 that was having the 3 red lights of dead (RROD)
 Heres a top view of my modded xbox (above):

Heres a pic of the GPU. I have removed the heatsink, and Now, I need to remove all the excess
thermal paste. I think its causing the chip to become too hot.

I used a fingernail cuticle tool to actually remove the majority of the mess after the chip super heated the
thermal compound.  just scrape it off gently not hard and try not to damage the upper side of the chip itself.

Heres the CPU.  I used a sharp knife to scrape the top most section of the flat part of the chip.
I used that cuticle tool again to remove some more of the thermal compound around the base of the heating
element off the chip.



Heres a close up of the chips cleaned up. I threaded a couple underbelly screws to replace the infamous 'x' clips that cause part of the problem in the first place.

 Heres an after the NEW thermal paste is applied. You can see there is still a small ammount of the original
residue from the original thermal paste still on the chips.  I tried to get it all off, but a small ammount wont hurt

I put the heatsinks back on, and for my xbox, I added CPU FANS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is how m$ should have done it in the 1st place.  I used a piece of double sided tape to attach the lower one (GPU) and another piece to attach the CPU's FAN. I also added another fan for more cold air on top
of them both w/ 4 leds.  On the bottom of the system there is yet another one of the 4 led cooling fans to
keep the chips cold from below.


You can see the low fan underneath the case, as well as the RROD is gone, and my nightmare of fans.
I just re-wired the regular fans in the case to have a molex connector, and to feed 4 more fans. When
the xbox's fans kick up to cool down the system, so does every other fan in the case.
This xbox runs cooler than my normal unmodded xbox 360.

And lastly heres an above view. I had a custom clear case made for it out of acrlic, by my stepfather!!
but thats all for now.  Working on something else now...
Looking for a 4th gen prelude vtec.
Take care/hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment